Laurens Ankersmit is Assistant Professor European Law at the Faculty of Law of the University of Amsterdam. His research focusses on environmental aspects of international and European economic law. In 2017 he published the book Green Trade and Fair Trade in and with the EU: Process-based Measures within the EU Legal Order with Cambridge University Press. This book is about regulating green and fair trade products on the EU internal market and extraterritorial aspects of market liberalisation and regulation. He defended his PhD in 2015 at VU University Amsterdam and worked as a legal advisor at ClientEarth on European trade policy, notably in relation to the EU's negotiations with Canada and the United States on CETA and TTIP respectively.
Laurens Ankersmit is founder and editor of the European Law Blog.
- Laurens Ankersmit, Green Trade and Fair Trade in and with the EU: Process-based measures in the EU Legal Order (Cambridge, Cambridge University Press 2017)
Chapters in Collective Books
- Laurens Ankersmit, ‘Judging international dispute settlement: from the Investment Court System to the Aarhus Convention’s Compliance Committee’ in Sacha Garben and Inge Govaere (eds), The interface between EU and International Law (forthcoming book proposal with Hart Publishing), around 25 pages.
Also published as Amsterdam Law School Research Paper No. 2017-46 and Amsterdam Centre for European Law and Governance Research Paper No. 2017-05
- Laurens Ankersmit, ‘The compatibility of investment arbitration in EU trade agreements with the EU judicial system’ (2016) Journal for European Environmental & Planning Law, 46-63
- Laurens Ankersmit, ‘The scope of the Common Commercial Policy after Lisbon: the Daiichi Sankyo and Conditional Access Services Grand Chamber judgments’, (2014) Legal Issues of Economic Integration, Issue 2, 193-208
- Laurens Ankersmit, 'What if Cassis de Dijon were Cassis de Quebec? The assimilation of goods of third country origin in the internal market' (2013) 50 Common Market Law Review, Issue 5, 1387–1410
- L. J. Ankersmit, J.C. Lawrence, and G.T. Davies, ‘Extraterritorial social and environmental concerns and trade: pathways to conflict between the WTO and EU’ (2012) Minnesota Journal of International Law Online
- Laurens Ankersmit and Jessica C. Lawrence, ‘The Future of Environmental Labelling: US—Tuna II and the scope of the TBT’  Legal Issues of Economic Integration